We are slowly adapting to having E home. I can now move more freely about the house while toting the feeding pump & pole, bouncing the baby and kicking the oxygen tubing out of the way of obstacles. Of course, I can only go 50 ft. in any direction from the oxygen tank (that's how long the tubing is) but that's good enough for me! I can't make it downstairs to enforce the 1/2 hour-only video game rule, but there's no complaining from the kiddos!
I will admit that I really miss the nice nurses at the hospital. It's a miracle that our baby is still doing fairly well in spite of her mother's oopsies with the medical paraphenalia. In my sleep filled days, I was a responsible person. No more! So far, I have broken the feeding pump once, given her too much milk straight into her intestines, and starved her for 4 hours because I didn't have the pump set to alarm when her bag-o-milk was empty. Today I took her to the pediatrician for her synagis (RSV preventative) shot. It took me a good 20 minutes to pack up her stuff and get the portable oxygen tank hooked up. After about 15 minutes of baby crying post shot, I checked the tank only to find that I had never turned it on! I don't think I will pursue a career in nursing.
The good news is that E is up to 8 lbs., 9 oz. She is starting to fill out and look like a normal baby. She continues to throw up a few times each day. The GI doctor is at a loss as to why she is doing this. Her food bypasses her stomach, so we're not sure what is going on. We took her back to the hospital Wednesday for an x-ray to see if maybe her feeding tube was in the wrong place. Everything was fine there. They changed her formula today to see if that will help. We'll hope for the best!
4 comments:
I am sorry but I had to laugh. She will be just fine. I am sure mom has told you that a thousand times. You are a good mom!
I laughed too, sorry. It's totally something I would do too. It must be hard keeping everything going smoothly. You're doing a fabulous job. Go Shannon! Go Dummers! We're all cheering for you.
She looks soooo good! I'm sure the anxiety level went up a ton when you brought her home, I can only imagine what that's like. It's great to hear she's gaining weight. As far as the hair thing goes, unfortunately she probably inherited the Dummer trait of what we term in this household as "HEDGEHOG HEAD!" It's got to be better with a girl though, at least hopefully when it grows out!
As you may know, we've been fighting RSV at our house too. Unfortunately we lost! Maggie's doing much better now gratefully.
Love you guys and hope life gets a little less complicated soon.
(Wade thinks Kevin looks like a tired Bishop dad in his picture!...I thought, there's probably a more tired Bishop mom over there too...maybe that's why HER picture wasn't taken!)
Take care!
Wade and Shanna
Was it Sheila E. who sang that song, "She wants to lead, the glamorous life..." I thought of that song while reading this! You are doing awesome, by the way! I'm glad to hear she's gaining weight.
Post a Comment