Thursday, May 13, 2010

Firsts!

I have been told that it is time to update my blog. I wonder why? It's only been a couple of months....

We are enjoying some "firsts" around here. Ellie had her first trip on an airplane to attend her uncle's graduation (sitting still for the flight was a challenge). She went swimming and met her newest cousin for the first time. May 10th marked her first year without a hospital stay or surgery. I found her successfully climbing the pantry shelves for the first time a few days ago. Ellie has made it through her first cold (her parents, however, are still recovering from the sleepless nights). She is starting to run and she is learning to pray.







Looking at Ellie, would you guess that she only has half of a heart? Miracles happen! Life with a heart baby is complicated, but it is good.

Ellie is slowly making progress with eating orally. We had to go back on a continuous g-tube feed at night to give her extra calories. Once she started walking well, her weight dropped and she didn't want to eat any more. The dietician explained that Ellie may have not had enough energy to eat because of her heart condition. I would look at my child chasing the poor dog and wonder if that is really true. She seemed to have enough energy to me, but tormenting Rosie might just have been higher on the priority list than being strapped in a high chair and eating something other than chocolate and Pirate Booty (her favorites)! The GI doc started Ellie on an appetite stimulant yesterday, and she has eaten better so far today. I really hope this continues!

So, I updated the blog. I'm good for another two months now, right?


6 comments:

Miles said...

Well, we sure like hearing from you!

The Dummers said...

Good to see you updating again! Maybe shoot for one month instead of two next time. You know, baby steps. :)
Can't believe E has been without surgeries for a year! Yea!!!

Jadie said...

She is SUCH a cutie!! Happy surg-free anniversary, btw!!

Miles and Bex said...

You forgot to mention Ellies first taste of Dr.Pepper :-) I am glad we got to play with you!

Hodnett Family said...

She is so cute! I can't wait until I can SEE her chasing your dog!

chicagosapps said...

Hooray for Ellie! She looks like a lot of fun to be around. Ryan looks all distinguished in his robes. I miss all you guys. I hope we can see you soon.

PS: it's been over a month, you can update again now.